Monday, March 15, 2010

A Few Introductions

Last night, I hit "post" before I was done.  Opps. 
In the future, I'm going to try and aim for a Sunday night posting of the previous week's home and garden highlights. 

And now for a few introductions: 

Meet Holly: 


She's the essential accessory to any home and garden activity around here.  I'm pretty sure she thinks she's supervising.  But seriously, we really lucked out with this cat.  I got her for free at the local vet clinic almost 3 years ago.  She was the last kitten left of a litter of SUPER beautiful long haired pointed 5 week old kittens.  She was the only one with a more random coat pattern and short hair.  I had to have her...and I brought her home without asking Steve.  He's a dog person.  Good thing he likes me!!  However, she turned out to be a perfect compromise.  She the most social (dog-like) cat I've ever met.  She fetches and goes for walks with us, as well as entertains the baby immensely.  We love her. 

Meet the House: 


It's an 850 sq ft 1949 post war cottage.  2 bedrooms, 1 bath.  We love it for:  its neighborhood, the big yard, its affordability, and beautiful established sycamore and birch in the front yard.  We struggle with:  the small size, the big yard, the maintenance that comes with living in an older house. 

Purchased 2 1/2 years ago, we have done the following projects: 
*all new siding (DIY-the old siding was painted cedar shingles which were in terrible condition)
*all new windows
*built a garden shed
*painted entire interior (except bathroom)
*replaced dishwasher and washing machine (when existing ones pooped out on us)

Meet the Yard:

I don't have any good pictures of the back yard at this point, so you'll have to use your imagination.  Picture a large rectangle of grass, one maple, and a garden shed.  That's pretty much it.  When we first purchased the house, I was enthusiastic about a blank slate.  Now, I am discovering WHY a 60 year old house has a blank slate for a yard.  The soil is almost entirely clay and rock.  This is normal for the houses on the hill I live on, but actually a little abnormal for the region close to a river.  In zone 3 (Western Garden), we are lucky to have one of the longest growing seasons in the northwest.  I am hoping to someday take advantage of this blessing!

Meet the Kitchen: 

A lot goes on in here.  Each week, I'll post a highlight of culinary activity.  For example, this morning I am making some butternut squash for the baby: 





Mash and serve.  Yum! 


See you next week! 

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Question on the squash...did you butter it at all, or you really just cut it in half, pit it, and then bake it? I've never cooked squash but have dreams of making my own baby food one day soonish...=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I just halve and pit it (no butter or salt) then bake. I don't peel it at all, but I do add a splash of water in the baking dish and cover it to create a steam effect. When the squash is tender, I just scoop out the flesh with a spoon and store. I used to puree the squash in a food processor before storing, but now I just feed him a chunkier texture. When you're at the babyfood making stage, I highly recommend the website: www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ Robyn's sister recommended it to me and it is PACKED with great recipes and tips. Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete